Recently, I have had to have a few hard conversations. As you have probably read, I have been really trying to up my confidence in the “real world” and work at it. I know, difficult task for someone like me.
Hence this post..
How to have a hard conversation.
There are two scenarios where conversations have to be had which will be hard. I know you have probably have all been through this at one point before. These conversations I have to have sent me to the Google Machine. I needed some training before I went through with it. I found a great resource from Oprah which helps to have that tough conversation that I had to share.
- Admit this is a hard/tough conversation to have.
- Invite the conversation, don’t just start it. “I’d like to have this conversation with you.”
- Set the ground rules. (I’ve done this before) Example: “I’d like to talk first and I’d like for you to listen, after I’m finished you are welcome to share your thoughts and will listen intently.”
- Be willing to be wrong. (This is a good one!) Be willing to be wrong and admit it.
- Discuss the next actions. Don’t leave the conversation without “now, what are we doing?”
For the full article, click here.
Have you ever had a tough conversation? What are some of your tips?